Countdown to meeting Obi!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, March 14, 2011

Suppression

I'm 6 days into the suppression phase of my IVF cycle (i.e., 6 days on BCPs). As with my terminated IVF in November, it hasn't been totally smooth sailing. My body continues to be uber sensitive to hormones. I've been really crampy since going on BCP. I think it's because I started taking them on CD3 so my body didn't get a chance to fully shed its lining and it's very confused. Luckily the pain doesn't start until evening so I can usually make it through the day just fine. But by evening...wow -- I'm in pain. So I take a couple Tylenol (one of the few meds OK'ed during IVF cycle) and do what I can to rest and relax. No sense getting stressed about the pain. Stress during IVF cycle = bad. And I just keep reminding myself that in the end, when we have our little baby/babies, it'll all be worth it.

My body's poor response to hormones (whether my own or medications) has gotten me a little worried about twins. We've always embraced the idea of twins. We want at least 2 kids (would love for our kids to have sibs) and twins would mean we'd only have to go through the emotional rollercoaster of IVF treatment 1x. But if my body freaks out when I'm not on twin-level hormones, I shutter to think what it'll do if I do get preg with twins. And not that I worry that I can't handle the pain, nausea, etc. One thing I've learned going through nearly 2 years of IF treatment -- our bodies and minds are much stronger than we give them credit for and I'm sure I could get through it. But I worry about the impact of my body's poor response on the babies.

But, of course, I'm getting way ahead of myself.  For now, must focus on trying to be healthy so I can grow lots and lots of healthy follies next month. It won't be until probably June that we have to decide how many embies to transfer etc. and by then we'll have much more info to help make that decision.

In other news, we're starting to schedule our trip to Denver. We're looking into hotels with little kitchens so we don't have to eat out for every meal (to save some $$ and our waistlines). To my fellow CCRM'ers -- if you have any suggestions for hotels, we'd love them. Would love to stay someplace others have before us so we know it'll be a nice place to spend a week or two.

6 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! Hormones wreak havoc on me as well. Especially progesterone. Ugh.

    I was reading about you not having to decide how many embryos to transfer until June. Will you not be having a transfer in April?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leigh -- I hear ya! My body does NOT like progesterone. I get symptoms of morning sickness every time I'm on it (and even sometimes when my natural levels are high during the 2ww).

    I won't be doing transfer with ER. Because we are doing PGD (bc DH and I are both CF carriers) we will do an FET. It will take ~ 1 month for the genetic testing then ~ 1 month of meds to prep my body for the FET. So we're thinking June-ish for the FET.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I've been quietly following your blog for awhile now. I, too am a CCRM patient. I just booked my ODWU Friday and we're headed down there next week (I'm Canadian). I've been very fortunate to have gotten advice from a couple of women who live close to me about places to stay etc. Both of them highly recommended Homewood Suites by Hilton DTC, but when I tried to book yesterday, they are closed until further notice due to a ruptured pipe. They also suggested Staybridge Inn and Suites, so that's where we booked -$75/night. They have kitchens, free hot b'fast, plus a few other things. Good luck with you cycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the post on my blog Manni! I'll be keeping in touch and watching your progress! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I highly recommend stay bridge suites in DTC. You can't beat the price and the free bfast. I felt very much at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stayed at Candlewood Suites, just on the other side of 25, last time I was out there... no complaints, and really close to CCRM.

    ReplyDelete