Countdown to meeting Obi!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

10.5 week OB appt

Had my 10.5 week OB appt yesterday. All looks good--I got to see the baby and his/her heartbeat. No picture this time because we used a little portable u/s machine without a printer.

We did have a funny/scary moment -- during the appt I asked my OB about exercise. I said something like "assuming the baby is still there and has a heart beat today, I was thinking about starting some low impact exercise if I've made it to 10.5 weeks". She couldn't believe I said that -- she said most patients would vomit at the thought that their baby was no longer alive and well. My response was something like "well, after 2 years of battling IF, you get used to adjusting your expectations just in case things don't work out". She assured me that my baby would be fine and told me to hop up on the table so we could listen to the heartbeat as proof.

Then she couldn't find the heartbeat.


So my OB starts to panic and goes and gets a portable u/s machine so we can see the baby's heartbeat since she can't find it with the doppler to hear it. She found the baby and we both exhaled a sigh of relief when we saw the precious heartbeat, proof that my baby is alive and well.

She then grabbed the doppler so we could hear it. Again she couldn't find it. She had me go pee since maybe my full bladder was preventing her from finding it. Still nothing. By now she's worried that she's freaking me out since I can't hear the heartbeat. I assure her that after all I've gone through, just seeing the baby's heartbeat is enough, esp since she said the heart rate looked good on the u/s. So I didn't get to hear the baby but did get to see him/her which is amazing and wonderful and enough to reassure me that all is well.

What I forgot about until much later was that an u/s tech told me during my last u/s that because I have a retroverted uterus, it can be hard for OBs to find the heartbeat at this stage.

So the baby is doing well, I'm doing well. They took a ton of blood for various tests so I'll post if anything significant comes out of those tests. Otherwise I continue with my 1 prometrium pill and 3 Vivelle (ERT) patches.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're both doing great - that must have been scary when they couldn't find the heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh - the doctor sounded more panicked than you did! I am glad your appt when well otherwise. Getting close to the second trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news Manni! How amazing this must be!

    ReplyDelete