Countdown to meeting Obi!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Sunday, October 2, 2011

screening tests, graduation, and coming out

My 2nd trimester officially began Friday. Here's the update:
1. we had the ultrasound test for possible chromosome issues (they measure back of the baby's neck for potential size abnormalities that may signal Downs or other trisomy). I had to have 3 different ultraounds over a 2 week period to get the measurement -- because of my retroverted uterus (and, as one u/s tech said, my stubborn baby -- what? me have a stubborn baby?!? s/he will, after all, be an Aries like her/his momma and maternal grandpa--stubborn runs in the family). But the 3rd time was a charm and we got the reading. All looks normal. Which wasn't too surprising given the CCS but it was nice to get the reassurance that they did transfer to chromasomally normal embie (hey doctors are human too and can make mistakes).

The cool thing about all those ultrasounds was I got to see my baby way more often than most mom's get it. So amazing to see him/her moving around, looking so healthy and beautiful.

2. my hormone levels (estradiol and progesterone) continue to look good so I'm still drug free. And have officially graduated from CCRM. My care is officially, completely transferred to local OB. I'm a "normal" pregnant woman these days :) (normal is bunny normal because all IVF pregnancies are considered high risk and my age means my pregnancy is also high risk so other than that, it's normal).

3. DH and I decided to not test for CF at this point. We decided that the risk is so low given the PGD that why increase the baby's risk of m/c? Also we didn't want to do CVS (m/c risk 1 in 30) which left amnio (m/c risk 1 in 300). But the glitch with amnio is that we wouldn't get the results back until ~ 20 weeks. Finding out if the baby has CF would really only help us (1) decide whether to terminate (which we decided we wouldn't feel comfortable doing at 20 weeks) or (2) help us prep emotionally and practically for a CF baby. The odds are low the baby will have CF and if s/he does, we'll cope with that when the time comes. So in the end it didn't seem worth it to us to do the testing.

4. I came out as pregnant at work on Friday. Now that I'm in my 2nd trimester I'm starting to feel more confident that this pregnancy is going to work. And I'm starting to show so I can't really hide it much longer. So I told my area head who was very supportive (you never know -- getting pregnant before tenure is still considered a no-no by many even in my field. But he seemed very happy for me) and my grad students who were also very supportive. It'll be nice to not feel like I'm hiding something any more at work. And to not worry about whether my bump is showing anymore. Less worrying = good.

In other news:
I'll have an echo ~ 20 weeks because ICSI babies have higher risk of heart defects so they want to test for that early. Around that time should also be when we find out the baby's gender. Can't wait!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great news Manni! Everything is going along just as it should - so happy for you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news! You are well on your way in this pregnancy. Every time I read a post I can't believe you are this far along already. I think we are also only going to transfer only 1 embryo. Thanks for the posts and I would love to see belly pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second trimester already?! Wow, time flies!!! Wasn't it fun to reveal your secret?! People I never thought would be excited were so happy for us.

    Thanks for the update and glad to hear your pregnancy is going perfectly so far!

    ReplyDelete