Countdown to meeting Obi!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Friday, March 23, 2012

Hospital run (all is OK)

DH and I made a run to the hospital today. I woke up with a lot of spotting including some clots and cramping. I've had spotting ever since my appt Tuesday. During that appt, the midwife tore open a piece of connective tissue that she found in/around my cervical opening that she said could be holding my cervix closed. She warned me there'd be some spotting as a result and there was but it got better. Until this morning. This morning there was a scary lot of spotting. Plus the scary clots. We called the office and they suggested we got to Labor and Delivery just in case.

Turned out it was fine. The cramping is probably Braxton Hicks. Which is good to know. I was wondering why I wasn't having any BH contractions yet. Turns out I probably am but they feel more like cramping to me than what I imagine contractions must be like (starting at the top, etc). The cramping is probably pushing the rest of the old blood from this connective tissue tearing out. They did a non-stress test (monitored baby's heartbeat and movement while I was seated) and baby still looks great.

The silver lining in this stressor is that well of course the baby and I are fine. But also that this was a dry run for DH and I. We got everything packed up just in case they kept me in the hospital. So now we've done that and will be ready for when it really is time to go to Labor and Delivery (hopefully next week).

And since it's been a while, here's a belly bump pic we took last night (39 weeks):

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

38 week update

We're now at ~ 38.5 weeks. And baby and I are both doing really well. And she continues to grow. And grow. And grow. She's now at 9 lbs. With no sign of being born any time soon. Given my "advanced maternal age', the midwife said they won't let me go past 40 weeks. It's up to us if we choose to induce/section earlier than that. My body wasn't ready to induce today (e.g., no dilation). So we're going to continue to keep an eye on how she's doing. Potentially wait until I go into labor then section. Or induce if my body's up for that next week's appt. After 2 years of IF treatment, I'm not opposed to medical intervention despite planning on a natural birth originally. DH and my biggest concern is that we have a healthy baby. And given her size, she's now starting to increase her chances of birth-related complications. So we'd rather induce and have her while she's "smaller" or section. We've come too far to risk injury just to be able to say we had a vaginal birth. So we'll continue to monitor her and make our decisions as we continue to gain more info on how she's doing.

Here's the latest u/s pic -- the little yogi has her foot up under her chin:

Monday, March 5, 2012

GBS Negative!

Things continue to go well. Which is totally awesome and totally surreal. I find I continue to brace myself for bad news (a by-product of surviving IF treatment I assume since I'm not usually a pessimist or a worrier). So am super happy when things go well. Today's good news -- I'm GBS negative which means one less thing to worry about during labor.

Friday, March 2, 2012

36 week check in

The baby continues to do well (e.g., heart rate, movement all good)! As do I (e.g., fluid levels look good).

During this u/s, the tech pointed out the baby's hair. That's right. Hair. Who knew my baby'd already have hair. According to the u/s tech, it looks like she has a full head of blonde or white hair. Must get the hairiness from her daddy. Or her Godfather (the older of my two younger brothers).

And she continues to grow--her weight is now estimated to be ~ 7.5 lbs (up from ~ 6.5 lbs 2 weeks ago). Her head is correct size for 36 weeks but her torso and limbs are big. Big babies run in my and DH's families so this baby has no choice but to be huge. But it means that we may be looking at induction and/or c-section if she continues to grow at this rate. Even the midwife I met with yesterday thought we might have to induce.

So, our plan is to be flexible -- try not to get our heart set on any one birth method and go with whatever is recommended to be the safest for me and the baby. Try to remember that although we'd love a good birth experience, the most important thing is to get the baby out safely.  So we'll continue to monitor. I have weekly u/s's at this point and will start weekly appts with the midwife next week. This monitoring is typical for an over 35 pregnancy. And it will give us a good sense of whether medical intervention may be necessary.