Countdown to meeting Obi!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, October 14, 2013

FET #2: The IF Treatment Journey Ain't Ever Easy, Hunh?

I totally dropped off the face of the blog-osphere after my baby was born. I think it was because I was so happy to no longer be dealing with IF that I left IF world, entered mommy world, and didn't look back. It's been amazing! So much so, that we're now doing a second FET to see if we can get a sib for our precious baby.
So I thought I'd document FET #2 here in case it would be useful to others to read what we're going through. Although FET #2 is scheduled for this Wed (10/16), it's been a long time coming.
Here's the catch-up, in a nut shell:
March 2013: stopped BF to detox BF hormones from my body to prep for my CCRM FET work up
May 7, 2013: FET work-up at CCRM. So surreal to be back at CCRm. DH and DD didn't come with me so I handled this one alone. It was great to see Dr. S and get to thank him in person for helping us with #1. I totally cried with gratitude. FET went well. In the words of Dr. S "the plumbing looks good after having a tenant in the condo"
June 2013: started our first treatment cycle. Cancelled because I started getting migraines with aura (mainly auras but the occasional headache). I've never had auras before and I was getting them almost daily, sometimes 2 a day. At the time we thought they were caused by the birth control I they prescribed as they were ones I'd never been on. I took the BCPs then the lupron. Cancelled cycle during lupron treatment.
8/6/13: started second treatment cycle. this time without BCPs (i.e., went straight to lupron). Got auras. Cancelled cycle. Was told that if I got auras/migraines without any meds to have a neurologist check me out as it's a weird reaction to have to lupron.
September 2013: got auras/migraines when not on meds. Met with neurologist who also said it's weird to start getting migraines at 38 years of age. Had an MRI to rule out brain tumor/seizures. It's not a tumor. I have "unidentified bright objects" or UBO's (what X-Files fan came up with that name??) on my brain which are consistent with migraine. The neurologist cleared me for IF treamtent.
9/28/13: attempt number 3. No BCPs. No lupron. Just straight to Vivelle (estrogen) patches. I thought for sure it wouldn't work. That my body would f it up and I'd ovulate through or something (because oh yea I ovulated through cycle #2 without the BCPs). But so far so good!
10/2/13 estradiol check. Level low (42 and they like it to be above 50), so they prescribed estrace 1x per day orally.
10/10/13 lining and E2 check. Lining looked good (9mm and they want it above 8). E2 still low (133 and they want it over 300). P4 also low. So they added another estrace and progestrone in oil, an intramuscular shot.
10/16/13 date FET #2 is scheduled

Symptoms on the meds haven't been terrible this time. Maybe because I'm on Endometin instead of Prometrium? No nausea. I did have really bad hip pain early in the Vivelle treatment but it's mostly faded. Starting to get some bloat towards the end of the day (the bobby-do is back!) where I do look like I'm pregnant. But it's OK because in the evenings I'm usually with friends or DH all of whom know we're doing this.

Here're the meds I'm on now:
Vivelle (ERT; 4 patches) -- changed every other day
Estrace (pill - 2 mcg) -- orally (vs vaginally which is what I did last time) 2x per day
Endometrin (100mg) -- inserted vaginally 3x per day
Vitamin D supplement -- 2000 IUIs so I take one in the AM and one at night to not stress my liver
Prenatal vitamins -- one per night
Baby aspirin -- one per night
Medrol -- 16 mg each night for 4 nights
Doxycycline -- 100 mg 2x per day for 4 days
Progestrone in Oil -- shot in the butt muscle every other night

We fly out tomorrow. Flying Southwest because they have non-stop flights plus we can check my bag for free on the way home. Staying at the Candlewood Suites again. It's close to CCRM and it's a known quantity. We stayed there for ER. It's basic, simple, but has a kitchen so we can cook some meals to save money and calories. DD is not coming with us. No way I can be on best rest with an 18 month old. She's staying with wonderful supportive friends.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck Manni! Glad you updated! I always wondered how your labor and delivery went with your daughter. I guess all went well and she is a happy busy toddler now. that is crazy about your migraines/auras. I am pregnant 16 weeks with #2 which was a complete surprise. I have headaches almost everyday but most are not totally debilitating, so I feel you on the headaches. Enjoy your time in Colorado - at least it won't be nearly as stressful this time. Looking forward to your BFP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing.. so happy that your DD is doing well and going for a sibling now! I follow your blog and was happy to see an update as well. What test did you need to do for the FET workup? I'm curious as to know what to expect next summer when we begin our workup for a sibling. Also, how long do you need to be done breastfeeding before the workup and/or transfer? Thanks-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks TurtleMama!
    Mel -- I posted the info in a new blog post today for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete